Okay, true story...I was in the middle of my last post when my door bell started to ring frantically. Already past eleven o'clock I wondered who could it be. "Please let me in", I heard from the other side of the door. Not fully dressed and Nathan asleep I ran to our bedroom to get him.
Ring, ring, ring the door bell went off again and again. "Please, please let me in. I'm your neighbor, I need help!" Knowing full and well that there was no way I was going to open the door, just in case it was a hoax, my heart still poured out to the voice on the other side.
I could see the tears streaming down her face. Up and down she would go as if she were crouching down to hide from someone. "Please call my mom!" she begged.
"911 what is your emergency?" I heard on the other end of the line. Explaining the situation to the operator she waited on the line until law enforcement could arrive. The minutes felt like eternity. I kept watching her shadow through the door and would then look out the top of my kitchen window praying that whoever she was hiding from didn't come looking for her.
"How much longer?" I heard amongst the sobs, "I'm worried he's taken my babies."
"Who has your babies?" I was told to ask.
"My husband, please hurry!"
The mommy in me felt helpless! Oh my, everything in me wanted to do something, but what? I couldn't, I couldn't possibly put my children, my family in harms way.
I truly had done all I could safely do. I've called for help and now all I can do is wait patiently, reassuring the voice on the other side of my door that help was on its way.
Help did come, sheriff's deputies, five to be exact. There had been a domestic dispute of some type. Never in a million years did I think that something like this would happen to me. Never in a million years did I think that I would be the voice on the other side of my door for someone in need.
5 comments:
Wow - you've got to be kidding me!! And after the day you had already had. Wow. Definitely surreal.
Wow! I can't even imagine how you were feeling. Wow.
I bet you had trouble sleeping after all that drama! Good thing you could help her.
My heart goes out to you. You are soooooo compassionate. You did the right thing. We sometimes don't realize our challenges are small next to someones elses.
where have you been, no posting!!!
Post a Comment