"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Monday, January 31, 2011

Someone special...

This past Friday Kaitlyn had a special Daddy/Daughter event planned at her school. The day I found out about it I called Nathan immediately to have him put it on his calendar. Very discouraged he told me that he couldn't go because that day there was a mandatory staff meeting at his office. I didn't think to say anything to Kaitlyn about it. I figured either I would go or maybe even keep her home that day from school.

Then the week before last she came to me one night extremely excited. They had been practicing a song at school especially for Daddy and Donuts day. My heart sunk as her wide eyed excitement turned to wide eyed tears when I told her that her daddy couldn't go. "It will be okay", I reassured her, "Daddy will take you on a special daddy/daughter date instead". Then she headed off to bed with her tear stained cheeks.

A couple of days later I thought to call the next best thing and see if maybe he could come. That's right I called my daddy! After explaining the situation both he and Mama said they would love to come.

And so Friday was Papa and Donuts day for Kaitlyn. I wish I would have had a video camera of her reaction when she saw her Grandpa get out of his car in our driveway. "It's Papa", she exclaimed, "you tricked me!".

We had conversations about who could go with her all during the previous week. We talked about how someone special could go and the idea of Mommy being that someone special didn't sit quite right because I wasn't a boy. She went from Grandpa to her uncles and then to her cousins Hayden and Brice. She even concocted a scheme of how Aunt Jamie could bring them and Uncle Jeremy would make sure Ashley and Ethan got home from school. Needless to say she was thrilled when that someone special was her Papa!

So my daddy went to Kaitlyn's school and ate donuts. Then he even took her shopping while I went shopping with my mama!


Then Daddy dropped Kaitlyn off with Mama and I and she became Mama's shopping buddy.


Taylor's smile couldn't have been any bigger when after she asked I informed her that YES Grandma and Papa were still at our house. She was afraid that they had left while she was at school.




Words cannot describe the love I have for my parents. They are unselfish! They are kind! They are thoughtful, loving and compassionate! They listen, counsel and never judge me! They are my friends, my confidants and the best examples ever! I thoroughly enjoy every single second I am with them! Thank you, thank you, thank you for being the someone specials in my life!

1 comment:

Latisha said...

So awesome of them to come. Loved this post!