Over the years my sister Jamie and I have taken turns watching each others children. Most of the time it is out of necessity, who am I kidding it is always out of necessity. Anyway, this weekend wasn't any different. Jamie and Jeremy went to North Carolina to check on their rental property. So on their way north they took a slight detour west and dropped all six (yes six) nieces and nephews off for a few days of rest and relaxation at Aunt Jodi's house.
I don't think they had been here more than a few hours, well I guess one night sleep, when they informed me that they were missing their field day at school and their mom, my lovely sister, had told them she was sure "Aunt Jodi wouldn't mind giving them a field day". I am not sure I quite believed their plot to get my sister in deep water for volunteering me, but I did feel bad for them nonetheless. And so Aunt Jodi's field day was established.
We began the event with a classic "egg in the spoon" relay race. Since all of my nieces and nephews know that I am not one for messes we used plastic eggs in lieu of the real thing.
Next they were on to the three legged race which requires team work. Anyone who knows my children and their crazy cousins knows that this task is virtually impossible, working together that is.
And so the potato sack race was next. This was even more fun than I could have ever imagined.
I had no idea that I had a kangaroo for a nephew and his name is Brice. He jumped higher and farther than any of his siblings and cousins, never compromising his speed.
The last event of the day was the water relay. They were to take a cup full of water from one bucket, run across the yard dumping their cup of water into another bucket, only to run back to start handing off the cup to their next team mate to begin again. The first team to the selected height wins.
From the looks of it the first annual "Aunt Jodi Field Day" seems to have been a success. I can't remember who won, all I know is that we made it through without any injuries and trips to the emergency room, which denotes success to me.
Will (3), Hayden (7), Ethan (9), Brice (5), Taylor (12), Ashley (11), and Kaitlyn (7)
not photographed were Savannah and Kinley both babies and both taking much needed naps!
In case you weren't counting that is 9 children and yes they were all mine this weekend, well mine and their Uncle Nathan's because heaven knows I couldn't have done it without his help!




No comments:
Post a Comment