In April our church held it's annual "Day of Service". Knowing that the agency I work for and the families we serve could really use diapers and wet wipes gave a presentation to the Stake Presidency and High Council hoping they would choose Family Support Services of North Florida as a community partner for this event. Well to my surprise we were chosen and the hard part came next...I had to tell my co-workers I was MORMON! Needless to say it was an amazing missionary experience. It feels good to know that I am recognized as a christian and following my Savior's example in service. The amounts that were collected were astronomical! I couldn't hold back the tears when I arrived at the church that Saturday afternoon, after having worked all day to see the High Council room overflowing with donations. Taylor and I also had the opportunity to go to Walmart and ask for donations from the community. It was a great learning experience for both myself and Taylor. I am glad we did it.
After helping Nathan on several projects he was working on I began to tease him that I wanted flowers for secretaries day and not only did I want flowers, but a card that read "to the hottest secretary...please don't ever leave me!" Well they may have been a week late, but after having been gone on a business trip for several days my sweet, handsome husband came home with these in hand. What? Was there a note? Of course there was a note and it read "You are the hottest secretary ever. I love you. Nathan"
Then in May it was time for Tea at Kaitlyn's school. It was so sweet of the teachers to do a special event for Mother's Day. I had the date on my calendar and was quite surprise that morning when I answered the phone to hear Kaitlyn's teacher on the other end. The time had been changed and my precious little KB told her teacher very matter of fact that "my mom won't be here until ten o'clock". "Are you sure", her teacher asked. "Yes she said ten so she'll be here at ten." Thankfully her teacher called and we only live five minutes from the school. I made it in time not to have missed much and Kaitlyn couldn't have been more thrilled.

This year I was succored into being the homeroom mom for Taylor's class. And one of the responsibilities of the homeroom mom is teacher appreciation week. And one of the tasks that must be completed during teacher appreciation week is a poster that hangs in the cafeteria all week long. This was what I came up with last minute and if I must say it didn't turn out pretty bad. Each student colored their own balloon to make the larger hot air balloon. I made the basket out of cut up brown paper bag.
The same night I was finishing up the poster for Taylor's teacher, Kaitlyn reminded (or was it more like told us for the first time) that she needed a boat for school the next day. Apparently the teachers note never made it home the week prior and now the night before we had to concoct a boat. So needless to say Nathan and I had to divide and conquer. I was quite impressed with his patience and creativity. On the way into school I asked Kaitlyn if she new what a submarine was and of course she said no. That is when I told her, "you just tell the teacher you made a submarine if your boat sinks today...cause submarines swim under water!" She thought that was funny and announced when I picked her up that we had made one pretty good submarine.
In May my sister Jamie had the opportunity to take a few days and go to South Carolina on a business trip with her husband Jeremy. And so you know what that means...we got to keep the Martin Cousins for an entire weekend! I love having my nieces and nephews around! I love that my girls know and love their cousins! I love that we have the opportunity to make memories with family. Some my call me crazy, others my say I'm insane, but me...well, I say I'm a succor for cute kids and they don't come any cuter than this!

With all of the coaching changes for Taylor's swim team we decided to take some time off while the school decided what they were going to do. Taylor had mentioned one time before that she thought volleyball would be fun and so when I saw that the YMCA was offering a six week camp I enrolled Taylor. She had practice one night a week and games on the weekend. She really enjoyed herself and by the end of the season was not only serving over the net, but making some return volleys as well. I love seeing her happy and when her serves made it over the net there was no denying how happy my little one was.

By the end of May it was time for my KB to graduate from Pre-K. The school did a very nice ceremony and also gave each parent a notebook of pictures, drawings, and so much more. It was very touching and so considerate. We loved KB's school and her teachers!
Ms. Cari and Ms. Janice with Kaitlyn on graduation day!

We finished up the school year with Taylor's award ceremony at school. She made the A/B honor roll for the entire year and also was honored with the Citizenship Award. The Citizenship Award is given to one child per class who exemplifies kindness, generosity, thoughtfulness and compassion. That sums up my Taylormade! We are so proud of her and all of her accomplishments this year! Moving hasn't been easy for her over the past two years and the end of the school year brought a lot of girl drama, but I am proud of the person she is and the standards she strives to live. She is such a good girl and I am so thankful to be her mom.
It's on to summer for the Florida Hawthornes! And with summer comes vacation, finding out what the baby is (oh, did I not mention it, we are expecting baby number three...I promise more to come soon), 4th of July, starting a new job, going full-time, swimming, suntanning, watermelon and so much more.
1 comment:
Haven't read blogs in forever. Loved catching up on the end of the school year. Great poster, by the way. You are super mom!
Post a Comment