Then there are the other times (which happen more times than naught) that we get up at the crack of dawn (before the sun is even thinking of rising) and drive to the event location. These triathlons are usually within an hour of our home and we just can't justify spending the money when we are close enough to drive that morning. So we wake up (more like drag ourselves out of bed) to make it in time for Nathan to pick up his "packet", set up in "transition" and go to "body marking". To those of you who are familiar with triathlons you know exactly what I just said. To those of you who are more like me five or six years ago it basically means that he gets his race number, puts all of his stuff in a roped off area that no one but athletes are allowed in and then has someone write on his arms and legs his age & race number. All the while his cheerleaders sleep in the van or truck until it starts at 7:00 a.m.
Kaitlyn had a sleep over at Grandmama Hawthorne's house so we could focus all of our attention on our little athlete. The focus for the past several months has been that this was not a "RACE" and that Taylor just needed to focus on the task at hand and finish.It was so precious! She was a bundle of emotions; anxious, nervous, excited and scared all in one. The wait was long between the two events. Nathan finished a little after 8:00 a.m. it only took him an hour and ten minutes (once again finishing first in the swim...man am I proud) and Taylor's event didn't start until 11:00 a.m.
Then it was time for transition and the bike ride. How would she do? Please let her get her shoes on without incident! Parents were allowed to run along with their children and she decided early that morning that her daddy was definitely going to help her.
By this time Nathan had caught up with us and it was time for her to do the 100 yard sprint. I wanted to be at the finish line when she crossed so I took off running again (yes that is twice in one day...can you believe it?). Surely the finish line had to be close after all it is only 100 yards and so I ran and then ran some more. "It must be around the corner in the next parking lot" I thought to myself. Nope, she had to run back along the bike path, down a hill, around a baseball field and then over home plate; 100 yards my foot. But in the end she did great and can you believe it she even wants to do another one?
I'm so proud of you my little one! Even when you are scared to death you are always willing to try new things. Never forget that you won't know whether or not you like something unless you try...always try! Mommy and Daddy will always be your cheerleaders as you chase after your dreams!
5 comments:
That is so AWESOME!!! Way to go Taylor!
Great job Taylor!! I didn't know you had been training for a triathlon, that is awesome! Miles is very impressed! Good job to you too Nathan! Also, to answer your question Jodi, that was Michael Davis in the picture, he was in Miles' class this year.
I would love to get Grace doing those! She loves swimming and running. That's awesome, Taylor is super woman.
Remember when you , Amy, and I had a contest(so gay) comparing all of our husbands'(boyfriends at the time) bodyparts....who was the best. Well I think Nathan would win for chest right about now. All those triathalons have paid off. I am laughing so hard right now thinking about how dumb we were sitting around our kitchen table doing that.
I would be so proud if that was my little girl. Way to go Taylor!!! I mean she just mastered her bike a couple of months ago and already is in a mini race. I know we say it all the time but your girls are so beautiful! Can't wait to see you guys in a month or so.
wowser mowser, I'm impressed, with both of them. Congrats!!! I knew a kid could do a one miler but not a full on triathalon, way to go!
Post a Comment