"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Friday, February 19, 2010

Literally and metaphorically...

I've always known this about myself, but have noticed it more this week that I sigh a lot! I mean a lot. When I am stressed I will take in a deep breath and let out the loudest sigh, usually followed by, an under the breath, "oh brother". I'm not sure why I do this. I don't even do it intentionally. I didn't even realize I was doing it that much until it was brought to my attention by my new best friend...not.

This week was stressful, even more stressful than usual. Not for any real apparent reason, just a ton of little things. I took Monday off because I knew I would be working late on Wednesday. The morning started very pleasant until Hurricane Kaitlyn and Tornado Taylor woke up. From the second they batted their long lashes the arguing began.

I scolded them. I threatened them. I pleaded with them and I even cried with them, well they weren't the ones crying, but you get the point. Nothing worked and so I snapped. What was the cause of all this drama? I must have asked the impossible of my angelic children. Yes, I asked that they put away their laundry. How horrible, I should be punished. Well I was and that is when I snapped.

"Six outfits and a Sunday dress", I hollered across the house and the garbage bags came out. The winds of Tornado Taylor subsided, but that is when the floods came. You would have thought someone had died the way my Taylor carried on crying and crying. After a phone call to my mother and an apology for all the times I stressed her out on laundry day, we came to a compromise. Taylor would keep some, not nearly all of her clothes and if this nonsense EVER happened again she would be living with six outfits and one Sunday dress.

I wish I could say my week got any better. It wasn't that it was bad, just busy. So much to do and never enough time to do it. I was meeting with the other women I serve with in Young Women's and realized that I had lost a week. Seriously lost a week. I had no idea where it had gone and couldn't believe I only had seven more days to pull off one of the biggest events of year. My caseload at work has been slowly creeping up because, well, I "have enough time, right?".

Today is usually my short day so when the Relief Society President called and asked if I could take a dish to a sister's home who had just lost her daughter-in-law I said I would be more than happy to. I'd take a pasta salad that I could make the night before and finish work in plenty of time to deliver it to the family.

Needless to say, I put off making it until today because I'd have enough time. Nathan had been out of town on business and well I didn't want to go to the store and spend time away from him cooking. I wanted to spend some quality time with my handsome husband, curled up in bed, watching the Olympics and so I did. Regretfully so because today at 12:45 p.m. I had a new client call me back and today was the only day he could meet. I had to initiate services and well that meant working late.

A phone call to my heaven sent mother-in-law and Taylor was going to be picked up by her. I still had to drop off paperwork to another client and while on my way to her work I looked down only to see my gas gauge on empty. Nathan had the credit card, the money in the account has been reserved for bills needing to be paid and I still have an appointment at 1:15 p.m. that I am not going to be on time to because it is 1:15 p.m. right now. Five dollars in the tank and a few hours later I was on my way home to now make, not pasta salad, but mac-n-cheese to deliver to the sweet sister's home who I hope knows it came with the sincerest sympathies and condolences ever!

And so tonight I breathe another huge sigh, not because I am stressed, but because it is a sigh of relief. The week is over!!! I don't have to work tomorrow. My handsome husband doesn't have to work tomorrow. We don't have anywhere we HAVE to be.

I can't wait for pizza and movie night tonight and I cannot wait to sleep in and cuddle in my nice warm bed tomorrow morning only to wake up have a nice family breakfast, maybe I'll make pancakes, and then spend the day doing whatever our little hearts desire and do it together. I think we've decided to go to the toy store and let the girl's spend the Christmas gift cards and then surprise them with ice cream cones at Chick-fil-A. The best part about it is...yes...it is all FREE! No, not really, the best part about it is that we will be spending time together! And oh yeah, filling my tank with gas, both literally and metaphorically.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow! You have had a crazy busy week. With all that you deserve a million sighs. I'm glad you made it through.

I recently discovered that I apparently say "stop it" a lot. It was my cute little 2 year old that "told me" by saying it... a lot. I realized she got it from me. When Jason and I are just picking with each other or joking around I say "Oh stop it." Oops.

Latisha said...

Hope you were able to enjoy your Saturday! You deserve a break!

Heather said...

Don't worry Jodi, we all lost that darn week! You're doing a fantastic job with all the hats you have to juggle. Thanks for all the hard work you do!