"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Monday, February 15, 2010

Really close to second place...

Last weekend Nathan had to work. In his new position this happens more often now and as much as we miss him this is actually one of his favorite parts of his job, when he is coordinating events as a sponsor. The event happened to be a 5K, Half Marathon and Marathon weekend. On Saturday there was a children's race, so the girls and I drove over and spent Friday night with him. It was nice to have an inexpensive getaway and spend some quality time together as a family. Life has been really hectic lately.

The girls couldn't wait for their race to start and they we too cute hanging out behind Nathan's work tent while their daddy passed out oranges and bananas to the runners.


Taylor is the one in pink, right in the middle of the crowd, next to the double yellow line. I loved her recollection of the race when Nathan was trying to find her in the picture amongst the other children. It went something like this..."I was in second place. A bunch of kids were crowding around in front of me, but I was really close to second place."


The kid's race wasn't as organized as this mama would have liked it to be. I had both girls dressed in bright colors so I could see them. Nathan went to the starting line with them and was going to run next to Kaitlyn and I was waiting at the finish line or so I thought it was the finish line. The older children were suppose to run there and back, but they didn't run the races separate for the younger children so you had all of these four year olds and younger following the big kids. I was in heels and didn't want to take the chance of Kaitlyn getting frightened when she reached the end of the race and had no clue where her mommy and daddy were. So you guessed it. I took off running, high heels and all! One of these days you'd think I'd learn my lesson.

2 comments:

Latisha said...

Great story :). You were smart to dress them in bright colors!

Unknown said...

This story cracked me up