"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Because of him...

Growing up my daddy had a quote he use to always say which was "Your heart belongs to your daddy until you are sixteen". It was his way of reinforcing the fact that we weren't allowed to date until we turned sixteen. Interestingly enough I've come to realize that a part of my heart will always belong to my daddy!

Last night as I was looking through old pictures I stumbled across this one. I don't even remember taking it, but when I saw it my heart smiled. Moments are far and few between when the girls will sit still long enough for a picture (evidenced by our recent attempts to update our family photo, what a nightmare). Anyway, I was thrilled to have this picture. They will someday be thrilled to have this picture.


My dad is one of the most amazing men I know. I was never one of those kids that had to wait until I was older to realize his wisdom. Full of life, with a song to be sung and a dance in his step my dad grabbed life by the horns and has lived. A few years ago my brothers, sisters, mom and I gave him a memory jar. I had the opportunity of putting all the memories in the jar and wrapping his gift and with that opportunity came the privilege of taking a trip down memory lane. It made such an impression upon my mind because as I read through each one I realized what an amazing influence he has had in all of our lives.

He was blessed with the opportunity to be a father and made fatherhood a priority. He has made a difference in my life mostly because he is always there; he always stands for something, and he always believes in me. Because of him I knew true love exists. Because of him I knew I could meet my Mr. Right if I would just stop looking and try to become Miss Right. Because of him I've grown and evolved into the wife, mother, sister, daughter and friend I am today. Because of him I have developed a relationship with my Heavenly Father that I cherish because I know how precious my relationship with my earthly father is and I wanted the same type of relationship with my Heavenly Father.

No comments: