"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Emergency shut off...


Pumping gas is an interesting task. I had a supervisor one time while I was in college that had never pumped her own gas. She was a Southern Bell if I'd ever known one and her husband always pumped her gas. If he wasn't around she would finagle an attendant at the station or, I think,even once had a stranger to do it for her. I always thought, and still do think, how chivalrous it was for her husband to do that for her. They were perfect for each other then and I am sure they are still perfect for each other now.

Silly enough I glanced over at the emergency shut off valve at the gas station the other day and thought of her. I really do miss her. She was my mother hen during my years away from home. I wondered, with a chuckle, if she even knew that there was an emergency shut off valve at gas stations. I mean she uses gas in her car. She even goes to the gas stations and yet because she isn't the one putting gas in the car she isn't the one who would need to know, right?

I think life is a lot like pumping gas. We go to the metaphorical gas station daily. Sometimes we fill up our tanks and sometimes we only have enough cash to buy just enough gas to get us to where we need to go. The question that lies in hand is are we going to be the Ms. Frances' of the world. Are we going to live our entire lives always going to the station and never be the one who actually fills up for our self. Will we not know where the emergency shut off valve is when we need it? I hope not.

I am not sure why, maybe it is because I was sick on Sunday and literally slept all day, but for some reason I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep since Saturday night. You'd think I had a new born. I'm up every two hours like clockwork. I've never been one not to take advantage of some shut eye. My head will hit the pillow and BAM I'm out like a light. I am such a deep sleeper that I dream and push the snooze button at least a million times. Yet for some reason the past few nights have been full of tossing and turning. It is 4 a.m. in beautiful, sunny Florida. Well it isn't so sunny right now. It isn't supposed to be sunny. The sun is in bed so why aren't I?

After an hour of not wanting to admit I was awake I finally gave into the pressure to get up and make a list. A list, yes a list. You know that list of so many things that "could get done", "should get done" and even now a few "have to get dones". Don't get too excited there are only two "have to get done" and they really fall into the "should get done" category. I just don't want to disappoint my little girls.

Now I am completely awake. Why, because I turned on this blasted computer and well, enough said. All I want to know is where can I find the emergency shut off to my brain.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Good thoughts, Now for late nighters - I'm the professional. Get an old movie you hate from guys list, something that bores you, or one you have seen a million times so you'll fall asleep, NOT your favorite- you'll stay awake to watch.

Vicky said...

I remember Mom and Dad having a car like this one. I still can remember the smell of wool seat covers in it. Enjoy lyou blog!!!