"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Feel my smile...


I uploaded my pictures from the camera a little while ago and to my surprise I found several pictures I had not taken. Taylor has become extra interested in using a camera lately and somehow, somewhere and sometime ago must have had her own little photo shoot. This however, was my favorite shot. It truly shows her personality. She sees the world through a different perspective and I hope that never changes.

I am very blessed with two amazing daughters. Two little girls who couldn't be more different, yet are so much alike. Taylor is methodical, very thorough, reserved, yet when with those she loves she opens up and lets her hair down. My Kaitlyn on the other hand is a free spirit, outgoing, spontaneous and has a quick wit about her. It is amazing how as I sit here and write about them I see how they are so much like me and their father. Once again so different yet so much alike.

Taylor came home last week and asked if she could audition for the school talent show. Surprised at her willingness to perform in front of her peers I praised her for her courageousness and asked where do I sign. After all it is elementary school, how much of an audition could it be. I was sure that the teachers were having "auditions" to make sure the talents were appropriate, but that all of the students would have the opportunity to participate.

I arrived at the school a few minutes before the "auditions" were scheduled to end. To my surprise the cafeteria was full of students and at the front table near the stage were five teachers with pads and pencils as judges. The students had been given numbers and if they were judged to have talent they would be one of the select few to be in the talent show next week.

My heart sunk. What have I done? I hadn't prepared her for the possibility she might not be chosen because I just knew all that all of the student would be participating.

Finally it was her turn and she slowing walked across the stage. She played the same piece she had memorized for her piano recital, except this time she had only gotten to the third or fourth measure before the judges said "thank you".

"How will you find out?" I asked as we drove home. "Do you think Mr. Baer (her reading teacher) will give you any hints tomorrow?" I inquired some more. "Well they said they will send notes through our home room teacher on Friday so I guess we'll have to wait to find out", my matter of fact daughter said.

Three whole days! This is going to be torture! I wanted to know right then and there as to whether or not I needed to cry with my baby or do a little dance in celebration.

I was scheduled to work late on Thursday and Grandmama was watching the girls for me while Nathan was out of town. I called home to check on everyone when Taylor said she wanted to talk to me. She is so cute and I love it when she TRIES to FAKE ME OUT. Even though she isn't that good at it, I still love it!

She read the letter and sure enough she had been chosen as one of the twenty students out of the entire school to perform in the school talent show. I am sure she could feel my smile all the way through the phone. I am so happy for her!!!

2 comments:

Latisha said...

Yay, Taylor!! I'm so proud of her!

Vicky said...

She has so many talents. Like the picture. Very creative.