"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Believing in me...

My mom has been encouraging me for the last year to stain the deck in our back yard. So in honor of mother's day I tried something new. All along she has said that it would take about an hour.

This is what the wood looked like before...


This is what the before and after looked like in comparison, minus the second coat...


And this is what it looked like when I reached a stopping point. All that is left to do is a small section underneath my kitchen window and the benches that outline the deck.


I figured an hour out of my day wouldn't kill me and the girls would enjoy swimming while I was being productive and they did! It took just about an hour, times two, plus three more days of the same thing and the project still isn't completely finished. All kidding aside. My mom was right, well despite the mix up in timing, she was right about the fact that I would enjoy being out back more and I do.
Thanks Mama for believing in me!

P.S. A word to the wise, should you be lucky enough to come and enjoy my nice new deck with me please be sure to bring your flip flops because the wood is extra hot and torture on your feet. Remember I warned you! It's a good thing we've got the pool to help you cool down!

3 comments:

Latisha said...

Looks good! Don't you love the projects that you can still see and enjoy long after they are finished? Sure beats laundry and cleaning the bathroom! Hopefully we'll get to burn our feet on your deck again someday!

Molly said...

Love the deck and your blog :) Your girls are beautiful. I had a great time with your sister yesterday. I have really missed her. Take care!

Vicky said...

Knew you could do it. Sorry so long. It must be the Jacksonville time table. It looks great. Love the pot with the aging moss look. The whole thing looks terrific. We'll have to come up and take a dip and lrelax on that beautiful deck on one of your long week ends.