"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Friday, September 26, 2008

Bahstahn...

So Nathan's secret led us to the beautiful northeastern seashore of Massachusetts! We flew into Boston Sunday afternoon and drove down to CapeCod. It was absolutely breath taking!

Sunday we spent the evening exploring the Cape. Hoping to see the coast we drove all the to what some call the "end of the earth" because of its remote location, Provincetown. It is definitely a town unlike any other you'll ever visit (and not just because of the very openly gay and cross-dressing population that most people...all except Nathan and I...know it for). Part of Provincetown's local flavor comes from its historical significance as the Province Lands, the true place the Pilgrims first landed in North America.

Monday we decided that we would take the ferry over to Nantucket and spend the day exploring the island. We'd never really been on a ferry before, well other than the one at Disney World. The weather was beautiful, but the wind was ferocious, hence the bad hair day.

Nantucket was so much fun and both Nathan and I agree that it was probably our favorite part of the trip. I love tours and so we took the local tour around the island. We learned so many interesting tidbits about the city. The number one industry is landscaping. The city has an ordinance requiring all the houses to look the same. The local grocery store makes over $1.2 million every 2 1/2 days during the peak season. The population is only 10, 000 and there is only one car dealership on the island so if you don't drive a Ford you have to pay $123 one way to have your car shipped on the ferry to the "main land" for repair. They are also known for their cranberry fields and have the best chocolate covered cranberries I've ever tasted (technically I had never tasted them before, but they were still delicious)!

According to Nathan Tuesday was going to be our busiest day. We woke up at the crack of dawn, actually it was before dawn because the sun was nowhere to be found as we drove into Boston. We only had our rental car for two days and wanted to make sure we were able to go to the Boston Temple while we were there.

The temple was gorgeous! While we were walking around the grounds I turned to ask Nathan something when I saw standing between the two of us a fox. We both froze not sure what to think. Meanwhile it continued on its merry little way, perusing the temple grounds. According to the gardener this fox has made the temple its home and very rarely comes out during the day. I'm not sure what I would have done if it had been night and this little fella decided to come out and visit.



Part of the reason we were in such a hurry on Tuesday was because Nathan had bought tickets for us to go on a "DuckTour" of Boston. This tour is taken in a World War II amphibious landing vehicle. It not only drove on land, but "splashed down" in the Charles River for a unique view of the city from the water. Our "conDUCKtor's" name was "P.J." and she was dressed in duck pajamas. All I could say when I saw her was how much I new Taylor would just love her and the experience!

After the tour we took a taxi back to the hotel and got ready for dinner. We ate at LegalsSeaFood at the waterfront. Some friends from the area had told him that he had to try a lobster roll sandwich and so he did and I thought it was delicious. It reminded me of crab salad in a hoggie roll. We walked around Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market browsing all the little shops. We finished shopping around 8:30 and still had another hour and a half before the shuttle to the hotel would pick up at the waterfront again so we spent the time sitting on a bench (in the freezing cold...never fear I was prepared-coat, gloves and a scarf...locals thought I was crazy, but hey 40s is cold to this Floridian) talking and watching a water fountain randomly spout water in the air. It was priceless!

Wednesday was a busy day too. We were going to walk the FreedomTrail. Now you need to understand that I was warned! I had been told to bring walking shoes, but usually when my husband tells me to bring walking shoes it means we are going to be walking around down towns and shopping. Well, my walking shoes consisted of the most adorable black wedges I had found a few days before the trip (may they rest in peace)! They say the trail is only 2.5 miles, but I figured it out and that is only one way and in my adorable black wedges (may they rest in peace) it felt more like 12.5 miles one way. All kidding aside even though my feet were killing me walking the freedom trail was a wonderful experience! I enjoyed seeing where history was made!

The Bunker Hill Monument, made entirely of granite stands 221 feet tall and has 294 steps. Nathan choose to climb those 294 steps while I choose to map out our escape route. I was ever so slightly regretting my decision until he returned and said the view wasn't all that grand...yes another wise decision!



The USS Constitution "Old Ironsides" was our last stop on the Freedom Trail and was perhaps my favorite of the day! It is the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world - "commissioned" meaning it is an active duty Navy warship. "Old Ironsides" is 100 percent seaworthy and is in outstanding condition for a ship more than two centuries old.

After the trail we had a late lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and while I waited for our table Nathan ran all the way to Mike'sPastry (an apparently famous shop who do incidentally ship) to get me a piece of chocolate cheesecake. He wasn't left out either because in that delicious smelling box were some cannolis for him too.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing and the evening was spent finding surprises to take home to the girls. I tried to convince Nathan to go to a Red Sox game Wednesday night, but since they had clinched their spot as the Wild Card entrant in the Division Series on Tuesday (now that sounds like a girl who knows her baseball...not really, just one who listens) he didn't think the game would be as exciting. I think he was afraid of taking "jodi the jinx" to a Sox game. Oh well, I tried. Although our flight was delayed three times and over four hours late on its departure due to mechanical difficulties with the wing deicer thingy, we made it home safe and sound!

It seems hard to believe that all the months of not knowing "where in the world" my husband is taking me are now gone. I am so thankful for Nathan! It never ceases to amaze me how much fun we have when we are together, especially on trips like this one. I love him with all of my heart and realize that I am so blessed (or "lucky" as most of my girlfriends put it) to have a husband like him. He is definitely an original, one of a kind and all mine!

8 comments:

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hijodilokslikeyouhadfuuuuntrip

Vicky said...

Sound and looks like you had a great trip.

Dane, Holly, Devin, and Jarom said...

Vacation with no kids, sounds wonderful! That is a true vacation. Looks like ya'll had a blast.

Ash said...

What a FUN trip!!! Great pictures! Nathan did very well!

: )

Jennifer said...

Good go Nathan! I would have died not knowing for so long, glad you guys had a good time, and during football season? Hats off :)

Latisha said...

Great pictures and commentary! You still need to tell me how to do the little collage pictures. They look good!

K.C. said...

What a great birthday & anniversary memory! Happy Belated Birthday MY SISTER!

Sarie said...

Wow, I love all the photos! I want to go to boston now..