"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Four litte words...

I had waited so long to hear four little words escape from his lips and that night with the moon glistening off of the Atlantic Ocean, on a pier at the beach, all my dreams came true. All it took was "Will you marry me?" and my world was perfect.

Years later I asked him this morning "would you do it all over again?" to which I received his classic response "S-U-R-E". "In a heartbeat or would you have to think about it?" And once again, without any hesitation, four little words made my world perfect all over again! "In a heart beat!"


On a night as perfect as it was so many years ago you'd think I wouldn't have any regrets, now wouldn't you! As crazy as it sounds I do, I really do! After my sweetheart had proposed to me and I said yes, he wanted to go and get ice cream. Of course, let's go get ice cream. "Just let me make a couple of phone calls first." Well if you are a girl and have ever been proposed to before you know what that meant. A few hours later and several phone calls to my mom, my sisters, and my friends and I was ready to go.

The only glitch was that the one and only place to get ice cream in the entire town had closed and my now fiance was ice creamless! If I had just one do over in life it would be that night. I'd wait to spread the news of my recent engagement and I'd go get ice cream with my soon-to-be husband! And so in an attempt to make up for that night every March 14th I treat my handsome husband to ice cream. This year it had to wait a day because yesterday was the sabbath, but tonight after dinner, when all has been said and done for the day, I will be taking my guy out for ice cream!

4 comments:

Heather said...

What a terific story! And a great tradition. I love seeing people in love! You two are just great =)

Vicky said...

This is the way to keep love growing and alive. I think the idea of ice cream night is terrrrific.

Melody said...

I bet it was even better this time then it would have been that many years ago. Good for you!

Congratulations too! :)

Latisha said...

Love that tradition - I had never heard the story before!