"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stumps or leaves...

Do you have one of those dishes that as a mother you make because as a child your mother made it? Tonight were are having one of those dishes; summer sausage with mixed vegetables. Not just any mixed vegetables though. Mixed vegetables that include carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli to be precise. We've had red beans and rice with our summer sausage ever since we learned Taylor loved it years ago when we were at one of Nathan's triathlons.

I can't remember what my mom served with her summer sausage except for the vegetables. The exact vegetables I mentioned before are what I serve with ours. It's funny how as an adult you remember certain things, like my mother eating her sausage with mustard only and so as a mother I instantly grab the mustard.

As I prepared each plate individually I found myself separating the broccoli. The pink plate had all of the stumps and the purple plate had all of the leaves. Broccoli is referred to as trees in my house and I know one of my girls likes only the stems and the other likes only the florets. Which is which, I have no idea, but what I do know is that they know and they will instantly pick their plate based on the type of broccoli is in their mixed vegetables.

Kaitlyn picked purple.


And Taylor was pink.


Maybe someday when they are moms they will serve their children the same dish, the same way, well, because that's the way mom did it.

5 comments:

Vicky said...

Glad some ting to go from generation to generation. You have it right - same veggies & sausage. I always fried mine because I didn't like it boiled and I was the Mom.

Vicky said...

Sooo Sorrrrry. My baby should get to stay in bed.

Dana said...

Beautiful Girls!

Jamie Martin said...

I see your girls are picky just like their mama, haha! That is too cute I love them tons, and at least they eat broccoli my kids freak out if I even put it on their plate!

Latisha said...

Did you get a new camera? Those are great close-ups of the girls!