
This isn't a movie review; rather some heartfelt thoughts regarding what matters most in life!
In the Watkins' family we rotate siblings' names for our Christmas exchange. This year my parents decided to shake things up a bit. I received the following email from my mother just before Thanksgiving(to conserve on space I've only included excerpts from the email).
"With your families growing up and family’s dynamics changing year to year, we have given considerable thought to your Christmas gift exchange and think we have a good suggestion for now and in the future.
We have come up with what we believe is a simple way that should work for all families. We also think it will make the gift exchange more meaningful for the brothers and sisters.
The idea will still use the same schedule for gift exchange as is in the past. There is one main difference, instead of a family gift or individual gift, we suggest you will plan one evening/day/event with the brother or sister you have that year and spend time with them...
The gift of one's self is one of the most precious gifts someone can give another. Dad and I feel, this will bring your families and especially the brothers and sisters closer. With your lives so busy now, months or years could pass without interacting unless you decide now not to let that happen...
Life is passing by so quickly, before we know it precious moments and memories will be gone. As families go thru the holiday season, it is important that you build your own traditions with family. This is extremely important for your family as your children marry, form families of their own, and begin to form their own holiday traditions. Families cover many generations and time spent together is the only time remembered...
In the next rotation -We'll be in our 70's, - six grandchildren in 20's, most grandchildren have moved or moving into their teens with only a few little ones, with maybe the thoughts of more little ones by another generation. 'Boy, time does fly'! It seems like only a few years ago you five where the little ones pouring over the Christmas catalogs for Santa."
2008 is my year to give to my sister K.C. After reading Mama's email I knew exactly what I wanted to do with her family. Since no gifts were to be purchased I decided that we'd have a movie night and watch the movie "The Ultimate Gift"!
I rented it on a whim last year because I’ve always enjoyed movies with the actress, Abigail Breslin, in them. I never expected to experience the flood of emotions that soon came over me during the next few hours. I instantly decided that this is a movie that everyone should see and wanted to share it with those I love the most. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie is just a plain, good, wholesome, thought provoking movie with a message worth sharing.
And so Nathan and I loaded up the girls last night and headed to my hometown to spend time with the my sister and her family! It was so much fun and a memory I will cherish forever!

We had scrumptious cheesecake for dessert and then ate popcorn while we watched the movie. After the movie Taylor ended up in a tickling match with Justin, Kaylee's boyfriend. She loved running around the house playing tag with Kaylee and him.
Kaitlyn was Lindsey's shadow from the moment we arrived. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact the Lindsey lets her do what ever she wants.
My wish for my sister and her family is the same one I have for you! My wish is that will receive the Ultimate Gift not only this Holiday Season, but always! Even though I can’t give you the experiences that the main character went through in this movie…I can hope. I can hope that by my sharing its message you will seek your own experiences. This film is rich with treasures. Seek these gifts…
• If you love your work it's not a labor.
• Money is simply a tool, not a goal.
• True wealth is measured by one's friendships.
• We learn through life's trials, we grow through pain.
• Life's problems teach us how to use good judgment, which in turn teaches us how to avoid life's problems.
• Every family, no matter how dysfunctional, has value.
• Laughter is the soul's medicine.
• Faith can make our dreams realities.
• We gain most when we give ourselves in service to others.
• Gratitude comes from recognizing what we have, not dwelling on the things we lack.
• Living in the present and taking time for the people we cherish, is the formula for a perfect day.
• Love is the greatest treasure. We gain it by giving it away.
…and when you do you too will have received the “Ultimate Gift”.
3 comments:
A Wonderful memory to charish. Thank you for sharing.
We had a great time with you guys. I love you MY SISTER!
I don't like it, I don't like it at all. No fair getting together without me!!!
Post a Comment