
I go through stages in my life where different members of my family are on my mind at different times. Sometimes it is for a specific reason and then there are other times it is just because. This week my brother Chad has been on my mind a lot. He was admitted to the hospital Monday night with an infection and last night the doctor decided he needed to have surgery.
As my day started today with family prayer it was Kaitlyn's turn to say it. "Don't forget Uncle Chad as he has surgery" we softly reminded. "Please bess Uncle Chaaad as hims goes to the grocery store". A smile erupted on my face! I knew Heavenly Father had heard her prayer. I knew that He knew what her little heart was praying for...her Uncle Chad to be blessed!
With surgery scheduled at 4:00 p.m. the hours couldn't pass quickly enough. Finally two hours after his surgery was scheduled to begin I couldn't stand it any longer and called my sister-in-law, Natalie. He's good, the doctor's pleased, he should be able to go home tomorrow were music to my ears.
I'm close with all of my siblings. We each have very unique and different relationships with each other. My brother Chad and I were very close growing up. He is three years older than me and so I was able to experience my first year of high school with him as a senior.
I was in freshman heaven. Not only was my brother good looking, he had a gorgeous girl friend with the singing voice of an angel, he played football and well you know what that means...lots of good looking senior friends to crush on!
I often miss the days of early morning seminary, piling into the Blazer and just being together. Now as I paint this picture I must make sure that there are some shades of red (furry over he and his friends picking on me only as big brothers know how to do), green (envy for being older and able to do so much more than I could ever do because I wasn't old enough yet) and most certainly blue (the sadness I experienced when he graduated and went so far away to college).
We've always been close. I love how I know how much he cares and worries about me. One of my favorite memories is when I was a freshman and my best friend was staying the night. We were all sitting on the beds in the girl's room and Chad was talking to Angie and I about our kisses. He, very concerned, told us how we should save them and not give them away to just any boy. That memory was fresh on my mind almost twenty years later as I sat in a hotel room in Tallahassee and once again shared a moment. The moment where that brotherly concern regarding life and his little his sister is exchanged. The ones that are cherished forever because you know and he knows your love for each other lives, is real, is strong, and is eternal!
I don't say it enough, but I do love him! I love him with everything that I am! He is and has been a source of strength for me for so many years. He is, in part, the reason why I am who I am today. He knew and so I wanted to know. It was because of his example and his willingness to stand for that which is right. He was a guiding influence in a little sister's life who instilled the desire to make good choices through out high school and into adulthood. For that example I have been and will be eternally blessed!
1 comment:
We have to love those brothers!!!
Post a Comment