"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, January 1, 2009

A million ways...

There was nothing exciting about our New Years Eve. We weren't in the Big Apple for Carson Daly's Rockin New Years Eve Party or in L.A. living it up with Paris Hilton. No we weren't even with family this year as we have celebrated in years before. This year we stayed home.

With Nathan having fallen asleep to the lullaby of a football game, decorations to be put away, and a den to organize I decided that tonight was a night for no rules! I am not sure, but tonight could have been a marketing experiment to see how many episodes of Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place one seven year old can watch without growing weary. Movies, movies and more movies with popcorn and cookies for the little ones.

Giggles with some chuckles and surprisingly enough hardly any tears of exhaustion. It was almost as if they too knew that tonight some how was special. A night for staying up so far past your bedtime that it didn't matter because we were celebrating the coming of a new year.

Ten, nine, eight...three, two, one...HAPPY NEW YEAR. Sporting our tierras and tooting our horns; banging on pots and pans squealing with delight as fireworks exploded throughout the air in our neighborhood; finally calling family just to shout HAPPY NEW YEAR into the phone; it was as if time was standing still. You know the moments in the movies when it goes into slow motion as the main character tries to take in every possible detail of the events that are happening around them. That is where I was with a "wow" here and a "look" there! A dash of "this is fun" and a "I like this" sprinkled on top!

Toasting to the new year with my main party girl while drinking sparkling cider in the crystal flutes from our wedding and memorizing the smile on Taylor's face because I knew she was feeling special. Nathan making a surprise appearance just long enough for a happy new year hug and kiss before heading back to his slumber.

Kung Fu Panda is now on for its third time and I have two three year olds drifting off to sleep just past 12:45 a.m. I can still hear Hannah Montana in the background and know that my seven year old is still wide awake because she just came in to the den to hug my arm...why you might ask...just to see what I was doing.

Like I said there wasn't anything exciting about tonight...just a million ways that made it unforgettable!

No comments: