Beginning days after birth every parent begins to distinguish between their child's cries. There is the "I'm hungry" cry. Then there is the "I'm tired" cry. There is even the "I'm frustrated" cry. Although these cries evolve through the years, with each child there continues to be those distinct moments that you know immediately the circumstances surrounding your child's emotions.
The cry that I believe is every parents worst nightmare is the one that means "I'm hurt, I'm really hurt!" Just moments ago that cry resonated through our house. Both Nathan and I darted to assess the situation and find out what had happened to Taylor.
She had pinched her pointer finger in the child safety gate. How, I am not quite sure, but it was pretty smashed and definitely needed ice to prevent swelling. As hard as it was to see the crocodile tears streaming down her face it was even harder to hear her tell me that she didn't think my kisses would help.
I knew the day would come! I knew she was growing up! What I didn't know was how sad it would make me the day she recognized aloud that there wasn't any more magic in mommy's kiss. She may have been thinking this for quite some time and even humoring me, but it surely was a sad, sad day today when she finally admitted what she had concluded some time ago.
5 comments:
Don't let her grow up!!!
Aw, I'm sure inside part of her still believe those kisses might work in some way.
hijodi
havegreatday
That IS sad! I guess they can't stay little forever....
If we could only freeze time but then we'd miss the next stage, still sad!
Post a Comment