"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

That which you can do...


I received an email tonight from Time Out for Women. On a normal day I would have instantaneously hit the delete button without even opening the message. Tonight for some reason was different and I chose to open it. I am extremely thankful that I did; simply because to the right side of the announcement of another conference was the devotional I've posted below. I love this message especially coming off of this past weekend's General Relief Society Conference.

Growing up whenever I was fretting over something, anything at all, my dad would always quote his father by saying "that which you can do something about, do it and that which you cannot do something about, well quit worrying about it". Now those might not have been his EXACT words, but the message is the same.

I think that is why this message touched me so much! I am a worrier! Those closest to me know that I worry about everything! Some things I have control over and then there are others that I let weigh me down.

Regardless, these three principles, 1. Fear not. 2. Focus on what is in your control. 3. Go forward in the strength of the Lord, are so simple; yet why is it that I find myself, oh so often, believing that they are too hard to do? I could say that somethings are just easier said than done and simply muddle through my days, weeks and years worrying about the possibility of the inevitable. Things that I truly have no control over.

At this point in my life I find myself knowing that is what Satan would have me think! I know I can't do this alone! I know that I need my Heavenly Father! I know that He is there for me, always! I know what I need to do now more than ever is fear not, focus on what IS in my control and go forward in the strength of the Lord.

I find it interesting that the last principle was...go forward in the strength of the Lord and was not the usual go forward in faith. Don't get me wrong, going forward in faith is wonderful, vital to our eternal salvation, yet today I found a precious reassurance in the way it was presented. It is clear that we will need more than our human strength as the winds of change begin to rage. The Psalmist was right: “But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble (I'd like to add...and in times of peace). He is our strength always! There is no other more powerful or mightier than the Lord and so tonight I find comfort and am at peace knowing that it is in His strength that I can do; I can endure; and I can overcome all things!

1 comment:

Sarie said...

Thanks for the reminder Jodi!