"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Monday, October 19, 2009

The other gold...

I like tell my children that if they will do something I want them to do they will get the "surprise of all surprises", but if they don't well too bad for them. It's not bribery. No, I like to call it incentive and who doesn't like an incentive.

So this week I told Taylor if she did all her chores, made sure the playroom, her bathroom and her bedroom were "Mommy Clean" on Friday she would be having the "surprise of all surprises". The not knowing just about killed her and it made for a very peaceful week because the "surprise of all surprises" was there to dangle like a carrot in front of a horses face to motivate her.

Now every mom knows what "Mommy Clean" is, it is a task that is almost unobtainable, not impossible, but almost. It is the clean that all mothers wish their children would have the innate ability to do. Some, but very few, do. And let's admit it moms, that this child, if one even existed, would be of course the silent favorite. Hence why we hear all the time there are no favorites in this house.

However, I had a glimmer of hope shine in my house this Friday afternoon. She has been taught. The ability is there. Never has a child come so close to "Mommy Clean" before and she did it all while singing "a Happy Little Song" (from Enchanted). Now that was too cute. I went to check on the progress really hoping progress had been made because I didn't want to be the mean mom who cancelled the "surprise of all surprises", but knowing full and well I would if I had too. No she had been working like a busy little bee and their room, their playroom and their bathroom looked amazing. Would I have eaten off of the bathroom floor, well no, but it was at least "Mommy tidied".

And so she had earned her "surprise of all surprises". What was it you might ask? Well it was that she was going to have a friend come over and spend the night. She was delighted and they enjoyed themselves.

I worry about my little Taylor and how well she is adjusting to the move. Oh how she misses her friend Kaylee! I wonder if she will ever have another friend like Kaylee. Their friendship was fostered from almost infancy. Although they didn't go to the same school they have the same faith and spent every Sunday together at church. Both moms weren't sure that friendship would last after my friend, Kaylee's mom, watched Taylor the summer before last while school was out. Of course they had their moments of not liking each other, just as all sisters do, but would soon make up and be on their merry little ways. Daily they would beg for either Taylor to stay longer or Kaylee to come to our house. Yes, this was a friendship that is unique. One that I pray will stand the test of time.


My heart almost broke this past Sunday when we were fasting as a family. Taylor asked me if I wanted to know what she was fasting for. I quickly told her that the purpose of our fasts are personal and that she didn't need to feel as though she had to tell me, but if she would like to that would be okay. There was a long pause, a quick turn so I couldn't see her face and then her response..."friends, that's what I'm fasting for".

Hence the decision, we needed a "surprise of all surprises". As her parents we needed to help foster new friendships and give her the opportunity for a new friend to become an old friend. When I was leaving Lakeland one of my dearest friends Kathie gave me a card and in it she had written a quote her mother use to say to her..."Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold".

5 comments:

Latisha said...

Great post. Kaylee is trying to make new friends, too, but she really misses her best friend Taylor. It's so hard not to measure all your friends against that measuring stick. I find the same thing is true for me. I am slowly starting to find things in common with people, but it's really hard to find those that will genuinely become your sisters.

Dane, Holly, Devin, and Jarom said...

It is so nice when a parent can motivate their child into something they want done. Everyone is happy!

Unknown said...

HEY! I LOVE THAT I'M HER BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!

I know I know... wrong Kaylee......

Jennifer said...

The "make new friends" quote is a beautiful little song. I sometimes have my classes sing it at the beginning of the year.

I hope she finds new friends AND keeps her "old."

Vicky said...

Boy, "Mommy clean" sound very familar.

She will make great friends, it just take time and opportuinties for her.