"Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake."---Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Baby of mine...

I just want to gobble her up! I often say that she is a mess and by mess I mean that she is all over the place. Her birthday wasn't any different.


The morning started off with the breakfast of her choice, pancakes. Well at least that was her choice on Tuesday night, but by Wednesday morning it had changed to "the sweet cereal with marshmallows from grandma", which incidentally came after I woke up early to make the pancakes. But for the birthday girl...anything.

We spent most of the morning pretending and cleaning; Kaitlyn pretended and I cleaned. Her six month cleaning at the dentist was scheduled for noon. I know, I know what kind of mother schedules a trip to the dentist on a girl's birthday? In my defense I honestly thought I had scheduled it for the 8th and when they called to remind me it had been mysteriously scheduled for the 9th. Fortunately her visit went wonderfully, no cavities. She actually had fun and I liked the new dentist. Two for two ain't too bad.

A short trip to the store before heading home to make cupcakes. Then we were off again to her first ballet class. We decided that we weren't going to have a kids party this year and so I asked her ballet instructor if we could bring cupcakes to share with her new little friends. I was a bit worried when I first got there because I had only brought a dozen cupcakes and because of siblings there was more than twelve children, but thanks to the helpful suggestion of one of the other moms everything worked out and I didn't even have to make a trip to Publix to buy some extra. What was her suggestion you might ask? It is simple, cut them in half. The kids never even noticed and it gave me three extras to take home for Nathan and the girls to enjoy later.

By the time we got home Nathan had already made her favorite meal, sausage with red beans and rice. Then the moment we, and by we I totally mean Kaitlyn, had all been waiting for...the opening of presents.

I must admit I only had one minor breakdown today. It was at ballet the song the children warmed up to was from the movie Dumbo, Baby Mine.

Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine

Little one when you play
Don't you mind what you say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for
The right to hold you

From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby of mine

If that doesn't make any mother cry, especially one that is truly saddened by the thought of her baby not being a baby any more, then I don't know what will!

2 comments:

Latisha said...

What a wonderful day!!

Vicky said...

Sounds like a marvelous Birthday for Kaitlyn and family too.