Quite discouraged I began to straighten the kitchen table. My eyes went from one piece of paper to the next. "Nathan must have let Taylor off with only having to write 35 sentences", I thought to myself as I looked at the two pieces of paper so neatly numbered. She wasn't reverent during the dinner prayer and must have kept her eyes open the entire time because when it was over he passed his sentence by making her write sentences. I wondered if we were defeating the purpose of punishing her for not having her eyes closed during the prayer when it was completely obvious that our eyes must not have been closed if we knew her eyes weren't closed.
It was then that I caught a glimpse of something else out of the corner of my eye. It was bright in colors and quite attractive. She had drawn an abstract picture and next to the picture on a separate piece of paper was written "Art is a piece of life". Taken back by such a profound statement being made by such a little girl I began to reflect over the events of my morning.
Having woken up before daylight I found myself driving toward the west as the sun began to rise. I wondered if I would be able to see it over the trees. The road started to appear more clearly and so from time to time I would look into my rear view mirror hoping to catch a glimpse. As I rounded a bend in the road I could finally see all of the different colors of the sunrise. My heart was full of gratitude to my loving Heavenly Father for where my life has brought me so far.
Some time ago I read where someone had defined art as "the creation of beautiful or significant things". Taylor, as young as she may be, is on to something! Art is a piece of life and our lives should be the creation of beautiful and significant things. It wasn't until just now that I realized I'm an artist, for you see I have created two of the most beautiful and significant lives in the entire world...my girls! So it doesn't matter if when I come home I come home to clutter. What matters is that my home is filled with precious pieces of art!
4 comments:
true, true!! All the clutter just adds a little more color to our canvas.
You definitely have some great art work!
Yes, if we just have eyes to see it. Love her and your comment.
let me just say that you are one profound woman!
Post a Comment